I am a self professed germaphobe. I wipe down all of my equipment at the gym, cover my bike’s handlebars with towels, and disinfect my kitchen regularly while cooking. If I have to grab the subway pole, I run to wash my hands before touching anything else. Drinking fountains? I’d rather not. Just the talk of a stomach bug sends my insides reeling. Keeping all that in mind, I wish I had never read this article on Bustle today, about the extreme spread of germs on a birthday cake, after the candles are blown out.
That time honored ritual of making a wish and blowing out the candles is appartently an episode of Outbreak waiting to happen. When the birthday girl or boy gathers their breath to blow out the candles in one fell swoop, they turn into virtual crop dusters, spraying the cake with germs. Don’t even ask me think about those who need more than one try. The article goes on to claim that kids in particular harbor more germs, so it is very likely they are contaminating the whole cake in with one, big blow. For those celebrating a flu season birthday, all bets are off.
Perhaps it is time to start a trend, of using a chic fan, or a dramatic waving of (clean please) hands over the cake to extinguish the candles.
Photo: Glasshouse Images
Check us out at indigojonesnyc on instagram.
Want to see what we have been pinning? Take a look at our Pinterest page!
Tweet along on Twitter.
Take a peek at our Tumblr.
To keep up with the latest, show us some “like” by liking our Facebook page
Check out our new site Indigo Jones Eats